Here Since 1916.
Here for good.
In 1916, Harry McNeely, the grandson of Irish immigrants, chose the property that would be the Meritex cornerstone: a warehouse along the Soo Line Railroad in St. Paul, Minnesota. In addition to being strategically located and structurally sound, the building represented opportunity—not just for McNeely and his business plans, but for the companies he envisioned housing within.
It’s that philosophy—one of partnership, collaboration, and shared success—that has guided Meritex’s growth over the past century. For every building that we invest in, improve or rent out, for every broker or investor that we partner with, for every tenant that we know by name, we start a ripple effect of doing business right.
We strive for equitable and ingenious solutions to problems. And over time, this pays off, with tenants who stay for the long haul, focused on creating and sustaining success.
THE ORIGINAL HQEighth St. Freight House at 8th and Pine, 1918.
Harry McNeely Sr. used this building as the headquarters for the St. Paul Terminal Warehouse Co. for a number of years, also running other start-up endeavors out of its offices. Said his son, Harry Jr., “He was very rational, very entrepreneurial. And he was good at it, or else Meritex wouldn’t be here today.”
THE END OF THE TRACKSGreat Northern Team Track, pre-WWI.
Team tracks were built to efficiently bring in large volumes of freight, dead-ending the tracks alongside buildings constructed to handle all the distribution resulting from the rail traffic. Says Harry McNeely, Jr., “Almost everything came on these trains: farm equipment, iron, materials for making ice boxes and stoves and appliances.” This property at North Pine Street and East 8th Street in Saint Paul eventually became Meritex’s offices; in the background, the steeples of St. Mary’s and First Baptist churches can be seen.
where the river and the railroads meetTri State Warehouse, 1917.
The Lafayette Park area of Saint Paul, Minnesota provided the ideal location for warehouses to be built, with waterfalls along the Mississippi River providing a natural stopping place for cargo watercraft. Because of this, railroads also used Saint Paul as a key shipping hub, including the Great Northern Pacific, the Chicago Milwaukee, the Chicago Northwestern and the Soo Line, all using warehouses such as this Meritex acquisition.
EVERY STAGE OF THE SHIPPING PROCESS444 Lafayette Building, early 1950s.
In the early years, the company (at that time known as St. Paul Terminal Warehouse Co.) served as both storage and fulfillment. Boxcars delivered raw materials and finished goods, which we would unload into company warehouses, then eventually offer delivery to the ultimate customer. Note the iconic First National Bank building standing as the tallest point on the Saint Paul downtown skyline.
FROM OPPORTUNITY TO REALITYPrior and University Technical Drawing, early 1960s.
As land or underdeveloped buildings were acquired, we would quickly find ways to turn it into functional spaces for future tenants, including converting areas for storage and handling.
INNER SPACEWarehouse Remodeling Tour, 1970s
Every new addition to our portfolio was exciting proof of the company’s longevity and success. Here, employees check out a warehouse undergoing renovations.